Supplemental Workshops in Mathematics and Science
Fall 2018 Supplemental Workshops Schedules
Cal Poly's Supplemental Workshops (SW) Program develops academic enrichment environments of active learners who ascend the levels of Bloom's Taxonomy.
Guided by trained peer facilitators, enrolled students participate in discussions, compare notes, develop study strategies and challenge their understanding with practice exams, worksheets and more. Workshops meet twice a week and earn one unit of academic credit.
These workshops, offered in both science and math, guide students to master concepts and promote collaborative learning, including concept enhancement, and problem-solving.
- Biology 111, 160, 161, 162
- Chemistry 110, 124, 125, 127, 128, 129, 312
- Math 116, 117, 118, 119, 141, 142, 143, 161, 162, 182, 241, 244
- Physics 121, 122, 131, 132, 133, 141
- Statistics 251, 252
- Is a Bi-weekly workshop facilitated by a peer who has successfully taken the course.
- Supports specific Math and Science lecture sections
- Is a risk-free environment where you are able to take chances and make mistakes
- Is a place to learn and apply Metacogntive Learning Strategies to current and future courses
- Guide students through an active learning process
- Is a way to break down information and concepts into bite size pieces to understand
What's in it for you?
- A higher grade
- An opportunity to dive deeper with the information and mastery of your lecture course materials and concepts.
- Your workshop facilitator attends every class lecture, hears what you hear, and reads what you read.
- The peer facilitator's job is to guide the workshop and keep students on track with course content.