Study Session groups are offered in-person and virtual. Please download the CP-LAN app from the Apple Store or Google Play to your iOS or Android device to view the current study session schedule. Each quarter, study session groups are established by Week 3 and the enrollment period ends on the Friday of Week 6. Please see Study Session Request for more details.
The Study Session program at Cal Poly is an academic enrichment program whereby, students ascend the levels of Bloom's Taxonomy utilizing varying learning modalities, implementing metacognitive strategies and to identify what's right, wrong, missing, confusing and what needs to change to promote forward movement in academic achievement.
Guided by trained Instructional Student Assistants, enrolled study session students dive deeper with material, participate in discussions, examine notes, develop metacognitive learning strategies and challenge their understanding of material by collaborating in a peer-to-peer environment. The result is students walking away with a fresh and new perspective of content knowledge, whereby they are able to further build upon through their academic journey at Cal Poly.
The Study Session program is committed to providing a supportive, non-lecture, collaborative group learning environment in STEM subjects, whereby students of all learning styles engage to thrive in their classes.
- Biology 111, 160, 161, 162
- CE 204, 207
- Chemistry 110, 124, 125, 127, 128, 129, 216, 312
- CPE 101, 202, 203
- Math 116, 117, 118, 119, 141, 142, 143, 161, 162, 221, 241, 244
- ME 211, 212
- Physics 121, 122, 131, 132, 133, 141
- Statistics 217, 218, 251, 252
Study Session's Mission
- Offer small peer-to-peer collaborative groups in a 60-min, bi-weekly format.
- Implement metacognative strategies to identify effective ways of learning.
- Provide students an environment to interact and engaged with each other on subject based material in a collaborative format.
- Serve as a non-remedial approach to learning.
- Adhere to UMKC Supplemental Instruction guidelines.
- Utilize and implement VARK principles.
- The CP-LAN app is the official student center for the Study Session program. All information pertaining to attending sessions (virtual), submitting/modifying availability, and/or viewing established study session groups, will be administered through the app.
- Groups consist of 8-20 students that meet twice weekly for 50 minutes.
- Students receive help with homework problems in addition to receive supplemental instruction.
- The group meets weeks 1-10 of the quarter, (no finals week meetings).
- No new groups are formed past week 3 in a quarter.
- Students are able to enroll in a study session group up till the Friday of week 6 in the quarter. After that period, enrollment in a study session group is closed.
- Leaders have previously taken courses at Cal Poly with great success.
- Students are expected to attend each session in order to maximize potential in subject.
- Students may drop out anytime.
- If a student is “Wait-Listed” for a class, they will not be able to submit a study session request. Students must first be enrolled in the course before a request can be submitted and accepted.