Study Session FAQ's
Q: When is the last week I can sign up for a Study Session?
- Students are able to enroll into a study session up until the Friday of week 6 in the quarter.
Q: What are Study Sessions in general?
- Study sessions are peer facilitator led study groups organized by subject matter and range from 8-15 students per group that meet twice a week for an hour.
Q: How do students hear about Study Sessions?
- Any student enrolled in a lecture that we offer a study session for is emailed with information about the program and how to register.
Q: Are study sessions free?
- Yes, there is no cost to attend.
Q: How do I register for Study Sessions?
- You may register through the “Request a Study Session” link on your Cal Poly Portal
- Logon to My Cal Poly and view “My Classes” in your Home page
- Above your classes is a button: “Study Session Request”
- Select a button to enter the request process
- You must be enrolled in the lecture for the selection to appear
- Press the “Submit Request” button at the bottom when you’re done
Q: Can I register for a Study Session if I’m waitlisted for a class?
- No, you must be enrolled in the corresponding class to add the study session.
Q: What is the attendance policy for Study Sessions?
- While attendance is not mandatory, if you miss 6 consecutive sessions, you will be dropped out of the session to make room for more students.
Q: Do you receive a grade/credit for Study Sessions?
- No credit or grades are assigned for Study Sessions.
Q: Is there a limit to the number of Study Sessions I may be enrolled in?
- There is no limit as long as the times do not overlap and the study sessions are not in the same subject.
Q: When will I hear about my study session group placement?
- The Friday before the quarter starts via an email indicating time, leader, & location.
Q: Why have I not received a study session for the class I am taking?
- There a multiple reasons you may not have been placed. We may not have yet processed your request of placement and/or your availability may not coincide with an existing Study Session/Study Session leader.
Q: Can I change my courses requested or the times I am available?
- Once a request has been made and you have not been placed in a Study Session, you can edit your availability through the portal via the "Modify Request button.” If you need to make changes after being placed in a Study Session, you must contact the Study Session Office.
Q: If I drop a Study Session, can I re-enroll?
- Yes, but the student must contact the Study Session Office so that we can re-enroll the student.
Q: When is the last day to sign up for a Study Session?
- The last day to be enrolled in a Study Session is the Friday of week 6 during Fall, Winter and Spring quarter.
Q: Do you offer Study Session during Summer quarter?
- Study Session provides sessions during Fall, Winter and Spring Quarters only.